Friday, October 7, 2011

Where do I Start?


When we got home from Branson, I couldn't wait to go to the hobby store to find a book on building a railroad.  After looking at several track designs, I decided to build a 4'X14' dogbone loop design.  Now I'm getting serious, it's from Train Set to Model Railroad!  Who knew you had to be a carpenter, electrician, fabricator and painter to build a railroad!  Oh yea, you need a lot of time and patience.  Now for my benchwork, I used the L-girder construction with 1/2 " plywood.  That took about 4 days.  Next I put my track together, traced it out on the plywood, removed the track and installed the cork roadbed.  Now it was time to lay the track.  Boy was I excited.  I could sing you a song, "I am working on my railroad every chance I get."  I bet you could hear me singing when you read it.  Well maybe not hear me but you do know the melody.  I would run some track then run a train, run more track, run a train.  Hey, you had to make sure the track worked.  Boy did it!  After I finished the track I built a tunnel, planted some grass and trees.  I built a town, with a Walmart and Kentucky Fried Chicken. I built a farm, a truck terminal and yes a yard for my trains.  I would go out to my shop to work on the layout and run my trains while working on a little section at a time.  After about 2 years we moved and I had to take my layout apart.  We really had a lot of good times together, me and my layout.  Here's some pictures of my layout.






























  

No comments:

Post a Comment